Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Treasure Boxes Quilt Along - fabric requirements

Pin It
yea!  We're ready to get started with the Treasure Boxes Quilt along! :)

Treasure Boxes Quilt Along

Julie at The Intrepid Thread has put together a wonderful deal for any one who wants to quilt along!

The pattern and instruction will be here, and posted here.  I'll get cutting instructions up next week. :)

Fabric Requirements:
For a 64" x 82" quilt, you will need:
- 12 fat quarters
- 3 yards background and border (I used white here)
- 1/2 yard binding
- 5 yards backing

I will be using Out to Sea for my quilt, but this design is incredibly versatile, and will be beautiful in a number of designs -- all you want to keep in mind is good contrast between the diamonds and the prints.  You can achieve that contrast with a solid vs. print, value difference, or color distinction (warm vs. cool).  I'm going with white.  Because I like it...

Here's the great part... you get to pick your fabric for the kit Julie put together!  She's giving us 20% off her already reduced prices. :)
So exciting... I know!...
(and yes, I am tempted to buy another kit... just because....)

Some links to my favorites--
Bella
Chicopee
Field Study
Coquette (with charm pack)
Madrona Road

What you need to do -- pick your 12 fat quarters (you can go from one collection, or mix and match), let her know what yardage you'd like as your background/contrast and border print (3 yards), and choose a binding( 1/2 yard).  Then Julie will wrap it up all

Here is the first little quilt I did with this design, in which I used a monochromatic palette of saturated pinks and reds...

pink baby quilt

If you would like to make this quilt with charm squares instead of fat quarters (smaller blocks), then here are the fabric requirements:

46" x 55"

60 charm squares (2 charm packs)
1 1/2 yd. background
1/2 yd. binding

Here is a mock-up of the quilt done with Ladies Stitching Club (I have a charm pack of this fabric -- it's even prettier in real life)

Treasure boxes charm size

A last word on how this Quilt Along is working -- 

A long time ago, I opened a little etsy shop called Quilt Hope In.  The money for things we made that sold went directly to a birthing center and sewing education center in Haiti run by an organization called Heartline.  When I was pregnant, I let it lapse, and I'm thinking it was such a good idea that it's time to re-open it.
I'll be accepting donations -- email me if you've got a high quality hand-made item you'd like me to list.

When I'm finished with this Treasure Boxes quilt, it will go up for sale in the Quilt Hope In etsy shop.  And y'all can donate yours there too.  Or to another great organization.  And no quilty police are going to come get you if you decide to keep your quilt... BUT...

We'll have a link up when we're done, to show off our quilts, and remind ourselves to store up our treasures where it matters... and not just in our fabric stash. ♥

But you know that Julie... she's offering up three amazing prizes for those who finish and donate a quilt! She says "they'll be something good," (which if you've seen her giveaways, you know that's saying something!)  We're thinking about 2 months as a time-frame; I'll give you an exact date with next week's cutting directions.

OK -- the kiddos just went to bed, and it's time to go hang out with the hubs or get some sewing done, or veg out to the new fall shows. :)

Important links
-- Our button is over in the sidebar... I hope I got the code right!  (html is not my native language)

Treasure Boxes Quilt Along button

___________________

My WIP report -

Cutting -
- Treasure Boxes
- Beauty is You baby quilt

Piecing -
- Chubby Stars (all I have left is the border!)
- Glassy quilt
- new design

Quilting -
- Hello Luscious baby
- Baby S
and more!

Linking to Lee's!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced



13 comments:

pkrueger said...

Great idea. Does the quilt pattern come with the kit or do you buy it seperately?

Brooke said...

I am in!! I decided to do the smaller size. Thanks so much!!

Heidi Grohs said...

Ahhh...Tracey...if I had the time, I would be IN! But I am filled up!

legato1958 said...

Is the pattern the Just Hugs , included with the French Kisses pattern in your pattern store?

Very cute pattern and wonderful idea.

susie

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I'm not going to be able to participate, but will post about it on my blog.

Fabric Warrior (aka Amie) said...

I love your quilt! It's so pretty, and you are so nice to offer the tutorial for such a great cause. I'm totally inspired.

Newbie Jen said...

Is there a schedule for the quilt along?

Kristie said...

You are such a good person :)

Stephanie Zito said...

Hoping I can join in!

Anonymous said...

Hey, can i quilt along with you using Indian fabrics...cant afford expensive designer fabric and international postage presently :(

Lindsey said...

I don't really have time, but of course I want to do it!

nahidworld said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nahidworld said...

nice picture of treasure box .i like it very much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails