Wednesday, January 5, 2011

WIP Wednesday - someone else's quilt along

Pin It It's true -- I have my own quilt along to finish... and I will (Christmas sewing was a major derailment!)

But in the mean time...

I've started my "manly quilt" from Cara's Urban Lattice Quilt Along.

Urban Lattice progress

For Christmas, my darling husband let me get got me Electric Quilt 7.

I haven't figured out most of it, but I did manage to mock this one up, to make sure my idea of multiple neutrals...
the solids for my Urban Lattice quilt along

...would look good somewhere other than in my own head.

And it did.

Jay's urban lattice mock-up

I've got much of my cutting, and eight of the forty-eight blocks done.

This thing is massive!  (You can see my thread spools down in the corner)

Urban lattice progress

Much to my friend E's chagrin, I don't have any scrapbook paper in my house (my mother-in-law meets all my scrapbooking needs)... and I really can't stand tearing the paper off when I'm done (really -- I can't stand it).

I do though have a large 12 1/2" square ruler.  So with a few tape marks on it, and careful sewing, I think it's going to turn out fine without any paper piecing (*phew*).  The other change I made was to add a small inner border around the inner colored scraps.  Jay likes it that way -- and I figure since this is "his" manly quilt, I'd better give him at least a little say.

I'm linking this to Lee's WIP Wednesday!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

-----------------
I just discovered most of the people linking to Lee's linky party are including stats.  *gulp*  Here I go... (in no particular order).

To be quilted:

1. Nicey Jane Fat Quarterly quilt along
2. Blissful surprise
3. Breakfast at Tiffany's Rob Peter to pay Paul (already basted)
4. Christmas quilt top
5. Rouenneries couch quilt

In various stages of piecing:

6. French General Schnibbles (just needs borders)
7. My Chubby Stars (this is the next to be pieced!)
8. Pure Surprise (oh yea -- this one too). ;)

You don't even want to know all the rest -- these are the ones at the top of my list.

You can see it was a good decision to sit out of swaps for a bit. ;)

(one more angle)

urban lattice progress

36 comments:

Trisha said...

This is gorgeous, um...I mean manly, Tracey. I love the shading effect from using the different shades of neutrals. Great quilt!

Lee said...

OMG - love love LOVE this! The different neutral shades for the background strips are fabulous!! So are the narrow dark strips that you added! (When I saw your EQ mock-up, I didn't realize those would actually be pieced-in strips.) This is an amazing spin on Cara's design.

This is my favorite part of a quilt-along - seeing how everyone takes the design and makes it their own. Love that.

Thanks for linking up with WIP Wednesday! Have a wonderful week!

Megan said...

Awesome! I love neutrals! I want to see more!

Kati said...

Ooh, I really like how this is coming along. I love the various neutrals and that thin black inner border. I'm excited to see it finished!

Jenn said...

This looks amazing. And the strips of black - looks tricky - but also like it will really make the quilt.

I want to do a quilt with solids (thinking the man would prefer it), but am unsure how to pick colors to put together. That's partly why I've love pre-cuts. How do you pick your colors? your gut or something more scientific? ;)

AllieKatMom said...

This quilt is gonna be awesome!

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, I really love the mock up you did! This is such an awesome way to make that quilt-along your own! I love the use of neutrals, it looks so awesome. Happy WiP Wednesday to you :)

Pam - said...

All I can say is WOW!! :-)

Mama Pea said...

Love it. Looking really good. I want EQ7. Lucky girl! I sort of find removing the paper from paper piecing therapeutic for some reason. To each her own, right? :-)

Manda said...

Wow love this! Looks beautiful, really striking!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Yeah it totally rocks!

Katie B said...

You better get off the computer and get sewing, lady! :) I love your manly quilt! Seeing the EQ mockup and the real thing side by side is really cool.

♥Duff said...

completely different and absolutely exciting! I wouldn't label it "manly" as much as "elegant." You have a wonderful eye for color & I can see how EQ7 really allowed you to play with the scheme in your head. It looks much better in living color though!

Rafael's Mum said...

LOVE that one! just look at the colours together.. sooo beautiful! and in real life it is starting to look just as good. Fantastic!

Cindy said...

Your quilt is looking awesome. I love it! You're going to love EQ7 just for times like this. You get to really see what's in your head and sometimes you discover something better. Can't wait to see it done!

Ducks and Rabbits said...

Wow! This looks amazing. The two finished blocks up on the wall really glow. You definitely chose your neutrals well.

Michele said...

Your quilt looks beautiful! Love the colors!

pinksuedeshoe said...

I love this! It is going to look so fantastic, really! And I suppose since you've got such mad sewing chops, it's OK you don't have any paper... I guess. :o) Plus, it's too expensive to just throw away!

Diane said...

Love the different colors of neutrals. It really adds another layer to the design personalizing it.

Anonymous said...

You are right - that IS GORGEOUS! Absolutely beautiful! - Esther

Marie said...

This is amazing. I may make this the year of the 'neutrals'.

Cathy said...

Okay-wow! This is just gorgeous. It looks like it should be eaten or something. That good!

Sarah Craig said...

My oh my this is wonderful, Tracey! The multiple neutral shades give it so much depth! And the dark stripes really make it pop!!

Leah said...

Very Cool. I really like the mix of colors and the skinny black strips. Again, Very Cool.

Melanie said...

This is really beautiful! I can't wait to see it all come together!

Poppyprint said...

Golly, this manly quilt is going to create a LOT of buzz, Tracey, because it is gonna be a stunner. I love how you are bang on your own 2011 prediction of more mixed neutral backgrounds (hehe). It is truly awesome.

Thanks for posting your list of stuff you want to do, after following the links and seeing your projects, my anxiety over that other thing we emailed about this evening has vanished. Full steam ahead on your DQ! woohoo.

By the way, I don't post lists (even though those organizational planning people say it's the best way to get stuff done) because then there is a public record of how lame I am at finishing stuff.

Michelle @ Sew-Krafty said...

Stunning! It's very bold....amazing that a mostly neutral quilt could be bold, but it is!!
Super great job, Girl.

Vesuviusmama said...

Oh, that is going to be so HANDSOME! (did I pick the right word?) I love the narrow dark strips around the inner colors -nice touch.

Danae said...

Wow, this is going to be beautiful (sorry, manly) quilt! Absolutely love the color combination. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Wandering Minstrel said...

Here via the linky party, and wow, those blocks are STUNNING. I love them!

Ali said...

I LOVE that quilt mock up!

Lynda said...

Stunning!! Who knew all those neutrals could make such an amazing quilt. Can't wait to see more.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

I need EQ7 apparently, too! Looks great. And I love your list of WIP. I need to make my own list so that I can figure out where to start.

Tracy said...

Tracey, This is absolutely stunning! Love it! Can't wait to see the finished product. Would you share a drawing of some sort of the block layout, pretty please???

Angie said...

I just bought my fabric yesterday to start this quilt along!

Pinky said...

LOVE THIS! it's just fabulous! In a completely manly, masculine, male kind of way of course!

Colours - perfect, pattern - perfect... just PERFECT! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails